November is the month when women’s anti-violence advocates engage in 16 Days of Activism (Nov. 25 – Dec. 10) to end gender-based violence
November 25th is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women; December 6th commemorates the 14 women killed in 1989 in the Montreal Massacre at L’Ecole Polytechnique, and all the other women, including missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, who have been taken by femicide to date. It is a long list that haunts every women’s advocate.
This year, the NOWC and many other feminist groups across the province will focus on promoting the 86 jury recommendations from the recent Renfrew inquest into the murders of Carol Culleton, Anastasia Kuzyk, and Nathalie Warmerdam. We will bring some of them forward during the 16 Days of Activism because they directly reflect the work we have been doing for many years and speak to the reality of women who face the risk of gender-based violence (GBV), intimate partner violence (IPV) or femicide.
24/7 Crisis Support
- Get Help in Thunder Bay District: https://www.endwomanabuse.com/get-help/local-resources/
- GBV Navigation Advocate: [email protected] or (807) 935-8042
- Feel empowered to make a difference with Draw the Line (Workshop): Tuesday December 6, 2pm-3pm (ET): This National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women let’s talk about safe and effective bystander intervention. Register: http://ow.ly/AYrn50LE7qN Draw the Line is a bystander intervention campaign developed by the Ontario Coalition of Rape Crisis Centres.
- Intersectionality: Effectively responding to gender-based violence (GBV) requires addressing the multi-dimensional and complex circumstances of identity and oppression surrounding every survivor and every individual who uses violence: https://www.vawlearningnetwork.ca/our-work/issuebased_newsletters/issue-15/index.html
- How You can Identify and Help People at Risk of Domestic Violence: https://www.neighboursfriendsandfamilies.ca/i-want-to-help/identify-and-support.html
- Gaslighting in Intimate Relationships: A Form of Coercive Control That You Need to Know More About: https://www.vawlearningnetwork.ca/our-work/backgrounders/gaslighting_in_intimate_relationships/index.html
- “Stay with them” Survivors of Intimate Partner Violence Share Insights on How Friends and Family Can Help: https://www.vawlearningnetwork.ca/our-work/backgrounders/staywiththem/Survivors-of-Intimate-Partner-Violence-Share-Insights-on-How-Friends-and-Family-Can-Help.pdf
- You Are Not Alone: a toolkit for Aboriginal women escaping domestic violence (NWAC): https://www.nwac.ca/assets-knowledge-centre/NWAC-You-Are-Not-Alone-Handbook-with-weblinks.pdf
- NWAC ’s Action Plan to End the Attack Against Indigenous Women, Girls, and Gender-Diverse People https://nwac.ca/assets-knowledge-centre/NWAC-action-plan-English.pdf
- Reconciliation with Indigenous Women: Changing the story of MMIWG, a report from ONWA (2020) https://www.onwa.ca/_files/ugd/4eaa9c_be059fe0cd844671839aef58558d893d.pdf
- Métis Perspectives of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and LGBTQ2S+ People: https://metiswomen.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/LFMO-MMIWG-Report.pdf
- For boys and men:
- I Am a Kind Man Encourages Indigenous Men to End Violence Against Indigenous Women: https://iamakindman.ca/
- Next Gen Men is changing the way men and youth see, act, and think about masculinity: https://www.nextgenmen.ca/
- White Ribbon is the world’s largest movement of men and boys working to end violence against women and girls, promote gender equity, healthy relationships and a new vision of masculinity: https://www.whiteribbon.ca/
- Male Allies, a program of the Sexual Assault Support Centre of Waterloo Region, engages boys and men, with their unique ability and responsibility, in ending systemic and everyday forms of gender-based violence: https://www.sascwr.org/about-male-allies.html
- Culleton, Kuzyk & Warmerdam (CKW) Inquest advocacy toolkit (Luke’s Place, October 2022): https://lukesplace.ca/culleton-kuzyk-warmerdam-ckw-inquest-advocacy-toolkit/
- Culleton, Kuzyk & Warmerdam Inquest Jury Recommendations: https://lukesplace.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/CKW-Inquest-Verdict-Recommendations-SIGNED_Redacted.pdf
- Lessons from a Rural Inquest: Taking Action to Support the Recommendations from the Renfrew County Inquest (recording and slides): https://www.vawlearningnetwork.ca/our-work/special-events/renfrew-county-inquest/index.html
- Joint Statement on the Release of the National Action Plan to End Gender-Based Violence: https://lukesplace.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Final-Joint-Statement-on-NAP.pdf