from CLEO/Steps to Justice:
The minimum wage amounts below apply as of October 1, 2022.
In most jobs, you must be paid the general minimum wage of at least $16.55 an hour.
If you’re a homeworker, you must be paid at least $18.20 an hour. Homeworkers are employees who do work out of their own homes.
Wages for students
If you’re a student under the age of 18, your minimum wage is usually $15.60 an hour. But sometimes students get a different hourly rate. For example:
- If you work more than 28 hours a week during the school term, you must be paid the general minimum wage for that week.
- If you work as a homeworker, you must be paid the minimum wage for homeworkers.
- If you’re working as part of the coursework of your college or university program, the company does not have to pay you.
- If you’re doing a “work experience placement” and getting a high school credit for it, for example, as a co-op student, the employer does not have to pay you.
- If you work as a counsellor at a children’s camp, minimum wage rules do not apply to you.
Visit Steps to Justice to learn more about Ontario’s minimum wage laws and whether or not they apply to you.