“Banning assault rifles is a much-needed step in the right direction, especially during a pandemic when gun sales have risen. But any weapons ban that does not include a ban on handguns misses the mark. Handguns figure prominently in domestic violence and are used to threaten and kill women. They are also implicated in other forms of community violence,” says Heather McGregor, CEO of YWCA Toronto. “You cannot reduce gun violence and the loss of life without a complete and total ban of handguns and without addressing the structural conditions that lead to violence such as poverty, racial and gender inequality, and barriers to mental health services.”
- CBC News: Thunder Bay women’s advocate welcomes new COVID-19 relief program for women
- Analysis to Action on Gender-Based Violence Project Annual Think Tank
- 14th Annual MMIWG Valentines Day Memorial Walk
- Anti-Human Trafficking Coalition launches new website
- We’re hiring!
- Income Benefits during COVID-19: Updates and review of provincial and federal benefits and how they interact
- Feminists Theorize COVID-19: A Symposium